Steel Pole Bath Tub - The Miracle Of Sound In Motion




"Sorry" if you're not enjoying this latest incursion ... but I'm having a blast (first). Slurred psychedelic overdriven garage noise-rock at it's finest. I've loved these people for a long time but had forgotten how much. I've been playing their releases all day and I'm waiting for the noise abatement notice from the neighbours. Shit happens. I could have started at many points but this is the one that when I took it home, my head fell clean off and it all made perfect sense. Saw them live somewhere between one and three times ... who knows?

Released on Boner Records and Tupelo Recording Company in 1993. Seems like this was only released in America ... I bought it over here in the civilised world so maybe it was an import? It's never been reissued since ... legalities I presume.

The Miracle Of Sound In Motion

5 comments:

Anonymous,  27 May 2020 at 17:50  

A great band indeed. The Milk Cult side project also notched up a couple of classics. Thanks for this!

Salem Tunes 27 May 2020 at 20:36  

Another classic underrated band! Nice!

p.shrivelclub 28 May 2020 at 06:03  

SPB played what I think of as my favorite concert ever at Rust CPH many moons ago. The audience was taken by surprise as the churning psychedelic noise rock opened up what I can only describe as a vortex in front of the stage, a swirling pool of purplish light and sound by which we were all swept up and started to dance uncontrollably in. I felt like all of eternity had manifested for a second. After the gig I begged somebody from the band to take me with them in their run-down tour van. He went and asked the others and returned with like, hey man, sorry but that's not gonna happen, van's too cramped. In the bathroom, I desperately grabbed a large paper towel roll from its dispenser and handed it over as a token of esteem. which was collectively accepted as a useful item.

Double Dubz 28 May 2020 at 16:38  

Great use/integration of samples by SPB but particularly on this one! Saw them in 1993 touring for this album, in Columbia, SC--one of my first shows, as it was later than my curfew, so I snuck out and stole the family car (returning it safely). Really life-changing show!

badgerstump 28 May 2020 at 16:42  

damn ... that is where i was going wrong! i once presented big black with an occasional table and they were like dude we're on tour, do you not think that we brought our own occasional tables. due to the stark reality of their rejection it took a while for the pain to settle down ... i thought well you have a song called "tables" how can you not want another one. i carried it back home and buried it in the back garden. but if i've learned anything today it is to think laterally. thank you.