buy proper books you "modern" bastards ...









Digital books? What the fuck is all that about? What you need is something big and physical that's going to break your nose when you're reading in bed and you fall asleep with it raised above your face. Now they are scars worth having! So kids, compare that with trying to burn your Kindle Fire's and collapsing under the irony.

Anyway, this is a "big-up" (as, I am advised, grandads still routinely say) to Richard "Richo" Johnson. All of his musical work is brilliant and worth tracking down but he is the founder of Splintered who we have featured heavily here over the years and frankly are one of the best bands you will ever hear. Apart from the Grim Humour fanzine, he also turned Fourth Dimension Records into what it became: a first stop for the appreciators of some of the finest artists on the planet as well as the finest purveyors of fine lunacy.

He probably does good sculptures but he really does do very very good book. I should know. I bought all three of the ones currently available on pre-order (at some god-forsaken part of the covid wall of shite) and have had them in my sweaty hands for ages. They are really really good. There is Volume 2 of Grim Humour in the pipeline that I will definitely be snapping up on preorder ... but i'm really looking forward to the Mark Perry / Alternative TV book! Anyway, Richo shows you them below so virtually get of your virtual arses and snap them up whilst they are still around.

Before I move on, he says people have complained about the postage. I definitely would not want that idea to put you off! Maybe the entitled arsewipes expected him to carry them to their front doors. Shipping is what it is. I got them from Poland to sunny Manchester, shipped individually when they were released. They arrived perfectly packaged and in perfect condition. I can't even remember what the shipping cost was so it couldn't have been that bad!



Oh, and ...

Whilst I am on the subject of real books, it would remiss of me not to mention the lovely and occasionally grumpy Frans de Waard who has been involved in a big old chunk of the finest music Northern Europe has had to offer over the past thrity or so years and ran Korm Plastics. He also does good book ... I don't know why I haven't bought the first two yet but I already have the other three ...

5 comments:

Plague 15 July 2021 at 00:36  

Wife got me the RAMLEH book for Xmas, but I haven't cracked into it yet

Robert Gomez 15 July 2021 at 15:49  

I read a book once. Crazy stuff.

badgerstump 15 July 2021 at 16:32  

come on now ... Macca D menus don't count. but i take your point.

Caligari 15 July 2021 at 19:04  

fu***ng interesting!

Caitlyn / CPI 20 July 2021 at 15:49  

I ordered that Vital book