◯△▢ (Maru Sankaku Shikaku)

Compiled recordings from a band (yes, their name was actually a circle, a triangle and a square) that existed for just a few years, from 1970 to 1973, and played a kind of hippie psychedelic jam rock that is terribly dated yet charming for what it is. Don't expect the blazing epiphanies of Les Raillizes Denudes or disciplined free improvisation of Taj Mahal Travellers. These guys were more of a precursor to Marble Sheep, No-Neck Blues Band or Acid Mothers Temple than to heady heavies like Fushitsusha or Kosoukuya. Still, it's undoubtedly a good thing that Captain Trip Records saw fit to reissue the group's three LPs from 1973 as proper CDs with one additional disc (no year listed, but likely also 1973) of previously unreleased jams. Two members of ◯△▢, guitarist Reck and drummer Chiko Hige, went on to play in the punk bands 3/3 and Friction. For a time, they resided in New York and were part of the "no wave" scene; Reck played with Teenage Jesus & the Jerks while Hige played with the Contortions.  



▢ 


9 comments:

txedomoon 3 May 2016 at 20:49  

Very interesting listen... thanks for sharing this! Now to find my own copy of this.

Plague 4 May 2016 at 00:43  

my pants just got tighter

Mrs. Inside 4 May 2016 at 11:18  

Did you put them in the dryer? That tends to make pants shrink. I always wash my husband's pants in cold water, then hang them up to dry.

Plague 7 May 2016 at 01:15  

I wash my pants when I'm still wearing them, but that's not the issue here...

Hate to be "that guy", but you don't happen to have this at a higher rate, do you, Mrs. Inside?

Mrs. Inside 11 May 2016 at 22:30  

A higher rate? Sure. On Discogs, this goes for around US$77. Or would you prefer if the rate was a little higher? I can do $100, but that's my final offer.

Anonymous,  14 May 2016 at 21:35  

Caligari:
yeah! great classic!

Plague 15 May 2016 at 22:38  

I think I've been put in my place.

Certifiablockhead 14 December 2016 at 08:39  

absolutely beautiful...thank you...