Sparks - Kimono My House




The constant and consistent genius behind Sparks are Ron and Russell Mael. When I was a kid, they would turn up on Top Of The Pops and they would thrill me and freak me out in equal measure. Whilst Russell was busy being a falsetto glam god up front, Ron was always in the background, behind the keyboard (with a rather strict rendition of an unpopular and rather intransigent German fellow's moustache) staring straight down the camera at my impressionable young face. Very weird and magnificent all at the same time. I went out and bought this album immediately. Given that the battle lines were drawn very strictly in those distant days, it remained a secret treasure.

I've decided that 2016 is going to be a magnificent year and to celebrate that unfounded optimism ... Badgerstump is out of the closet. Hurrah!



Kimono My House

5 comments:

Anonymous,  1 January 2016 at 11:49  

Thank you, Badgerstump! Sparks are indeed bliss. Happy new year!

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming 1 January 2016 at 15:44  

Awesome!
Thanks for the joy of discovery and Happy new year!

Plague 1 January 2016 at 19:41  

My favorite Sparks memory was when they appeared on American Bandstand. Don't remember the year, don't remember the song- but at one point Ron got up from behind the keyboard, walked to the front of the "stage" and did one of the most classic dances I have ever seen.

Ever since then I realized you didn't have to give a shit about what you looked like when experiencing joy.

Anonymous,  3 January 2016 at 17:23  

Caligari:
WOW!

tvc15lh 22 July 2020 at 22:13  

YES! It was amazing!